Monday, February 15, 2010

Stop! Yammertime!

So I just signed up for Yammer...and I'm falling in love with the potential of this, being a worker who works mostly remotely and would love to see how others with whom I collaborate are working on what they are working on to see how it could affect delivery times, what they could know about something I'm working on, etc.  It does nothing but help focus the tapping of talent of other people you know in the company OR on your project. 

It's like Twitter/Facebook for your workmates.  Online collaboration in what I like to call "livetime". 

AT the same time, I'm wondering if it'll really work for a remote worker such as myself because I'd have to convince the other members in other organizations, etc. to actually use it.  And we all don't have the same hours.

If anything, it helps those on a project team communicate instantly on projects.  But again, I think the main caveat is having the same project hours.  And being on several projects at once in one organization. 

I wonder how it would work for several contractors on one project?  I think drop.io has a better interface, and ability for disparate times and collaborations, keeping the project all in one place.

As far as I could tell, Yammer is great for an already organized team or a business working on several projects. 

What do you think?

No comments: