Monday, January 18, 2010

Diving into a top 10 services to watch

According to ComputerWorld.com's columnist Mark Sullivan, these are the top the sites and services you should look out for in 2010.

(please use Firefox, IE 7 has problems with the site all the time)
  1. Fancast Xfinity TV - Watch TV Episodes online
  2. Bing.com - A better search engine from Microsoft?  NUH UH!
  3. Android OS market expands
  4. Grooveshark - listen to music online
  5. Google Voice
  6. justin.tv - Live video streamed straight online (according to the article, a sports game was streamed from someone's camera...is that legal?)
  7. Clicker - A programming guide for ONLINE video....whodathunkit?
  8. Yammer - Connect and share with people in your organization.  Ok, now you got me interested in this one.  It's Twitter for your office.
  9. Wikitravel - Yes, wiki for your travels.  It's a place where you can find out other people's experiences to areas around the world.  So you'll get another perspective, experience, viewpoint from other than a Chamber of Commerce type organization.
  10. Postabon - Find deals in your area. As of the writing of the Computerworld article, it works only in NYC right now.  But when I visited it, it gave the impression it is now widely available.  We'll see.
So WHY did I post these?  Because I wanted to investigate each one to see how each may impact me as a tech user and me as a business.  I mean, wouldn't you like to know how it could apply to you and your business?

Ok, compute safely.  Why?  Because a colleague of mine just told me his PC has been completely hijacked (yes, the whole "you have no rights to this machine" kind of thing).  I gave him some tools to work with and he insisted he do it on his own.  I wish him luck.   I'll let you know how that goes too.

-eggBrain

No comments: