Monday, January 4, 2010

The New Year Wave

Happy New Year!  I hope Techno-Santa brought you all your tech-gifts in one piece and you have some kind of warranty for all of them.

This New Year, what are you planning to do with YOUR technology in your business?  At home?

Here are my top 5 suggestions:
  1. Clean it out - Yes, I mean DELETE DATA.  All the old data you haven't looked, read, or anything elsed, DELETE it.  Old programs too.  Take the time to do so, you'll be glad you did.
  2. Clean it out - YES, I mean AIR IT OUT.  Go to your office supply store or Wal-mart and get yourself some compressed air.  Open up your case and spray it out.  And sweep afterwards.  If it's a laptop, spray in between the keys and I HOPE you aren't putting your laptop on dirty counters.  Some intake fans face downward and you don't want junk in your laptop.  EVER.
  3. Clean it out - YES, I mean WIPE IT DOWN.  Find a non-static electronics cleaner, a dustless cloth (or even those mechanics cloths that come in a box) and wipe down your equipment.  Besides the real cool technology smell, you'll be glad your fingers aren't sticking to the keyboard, the keyboard isn't sticking to the desk (or your lap).  
  4. Clean it out - I mean DEFRAG your machine (on PCs).  Yes, do it.  Just do it. 
  5. Clean it out - I mean RUN A VIRUS SCAN/MALWARE SCAN already.  Yes, I know you haven't for some time.  Do it.  Now.
And that's what everyone, from business to home, ought to do.

As far as my business endeavors:

I've been redefining eggBrain.  Headlong into market research and detailing administrative processes.  Earlier I posted about the Google Wave.  They sent me an invitation and now I'm in...
...but...
...I looked at it and tried it out, but without anyone I know using Google Wave, I'm kind of...collaborating with nobody at the moment.  So I decided to look for the Top 10 Web Collaboration Tools (that aren't Google Wave).  And I found it.   Interesting.  Very interesting stuff.  I suggest you check it out if online collaboration is something you want to add to your repertoire.  I sure am.  In fact, the next several posts will be about my endeavors into these tools.

By the way you CAN get an invitation to Google Wave, as long as you are a member of Google. 

Compute Safely!

-eggBrain

No comments: